Twitter

Follow EddieTheGiant25 on Twitter

Thursday, March 17, 2011

It's not just a game...

It is no secret that in the sports world, my one and only true love is Baseball. It always has been and it always will be. Baseball to me is the ultimate team game, that can also put one person in the spotlight. I know that some people out there say Baseball is "boring" "too long' "not as exciting as Football" But i disagree. To me, Baseball is a thinking mans game. A chess game if you will, with 25 players, 9 players on the field on defense ready to attack. The people who oppose Baseball may not fully understand it. To know Baseball you have got to embrace it, learn it, play it, live it, love it. Baseball is a commitment, it is paying attention to details and being aware of the game.
Baseball is a game of numbers, 162 games, 9 player, 9 innings, 27 outs, 90 feet between the bases, 60'-6" from the pitchers mound to home plate and 108 double stitches on a Baseball (That's 216 in total for you math wizards). There are numbers that are magical 24, 42, 56, 73, 762, .400 along with 2,632 and 4,256. If you do not recognize these numbers, you should look them up. For as long as I can remember I have been a San Francisco Giants fan, the Orange and Black that grace the uniform are the perfect combination. But I'll get more into that later.
To me Baseball is a simple game with sometimes complicated rules, sure not everyone knows what a "balk" is, or what exactly the "infield fly rule" is, but on the surface everyone knows what the basics are of Baseball. 6 outs in an inning (3 for each side), 9 innings in a regulation game, 27 outs for each side and as the song goes "it's 1, 2, 3 strikes, yer out! at the old ballgame" Baseball is a fair game, better then some life situations. For instance, think about the last time you sacrificed your turn for anything for anyone, chances are the outcome for you was negative. In Baseball, if you are successful with you sacrifice, it does not count against your batting average. But you are given credit for a job well done. Also think about a time when you failed 7 out of 10 times? what did people think of you then? what did you think of yourself? But in Baseball take those 3 times out of 10 that you were a success, that makes you a .300 hitter and a very good ball player.
What I also love about Baseball is the experience. When playing with family or friends, I love the smell of the glove as it comes out of hiding in your bag. The way it conforms itself to your hand like an old friend waiting to protect you. The smell of the grass, the sound the dirt makes when you step on it, the crack of the bat. The instincts that you come across while playing Baseball are amazing, that first step, taking the perfect angle, taking the long strides and stretching your body out to the fullest to catch that ball and all while dreaming of playing for a Major League team.
I said it before, my team is the San Francisco Giants, sorry, let me rephrase that, The World Series Champion San Francisco Giants. When I go down to AT&T Park, I like to get there early, I love to see the bright green grass, the infield dirt being watered down. The team stretching before the game. I love to hear the line ups, being able to cheer for the hometown nine and jeering the visitors. My experience at the ballpark is not complete without hearing the National Anthem.
I love this game, I love watching the players after the pitch is thrown, before the batter decides if he will swing, just to see how the defense reacts to the pitch selection. It fun to follow along and try to guess what will happen next: hit and run, bunt, steal, etc. Sure Baseball can break your heart, make you cry, make you wonder why you invest so much into it, need an example? 2002. (I still can't fully talk about it). But when Baseball leaves in the fall, you know that just like an old reliable friend every spring it will be back and you will have a hell of a summer with the boys on the diamond. Baseball creates heroes, goats and hall of famers. For me Baseball has created some of the best memories I have had. Above all, to really understand Baseball there are a few things you must do:
1) Learn how to keep score of a Baseball game
2) Learn how to appreciate the Ballpark Experience
3) Learn how to listen to the radio broadcasts
4) Support your team no matter what
5) Play the game, embrace the game, be the game
6) Never give up hope, there is no time limit on the game, stay until the final out

You do not have to be the best player out there, if you have the passion, desire and love of this game. It will love you back and you will have fun playing in the sandlots or parks where you go. I honestly do not know where I would be without Baseball. In life there are decisions that we make, when I was young I turned to Baseball instead of turning to bad influences. During good times and bad times Baseball has helped me through them. I will forever be grateful and I will forever love Baseball...

No comments:

Post a Comment